Subject: [Leica] Nikkor P 105mm / focus peaking
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 17:34:12 -0400

John  I don't see your average working pro switching from full frame DSLR'S
to cropped format pseudo Leica mirrorless rangefinders. He may get one for
some cool side shoots in plenty of daylight or strobe for something that's
going to go on a website. But its not going to be replacing his or her main
DSLR system. I don't think not even become to happen.
Some have bought a body and a lens and showcase a shoot they've done with
one.
"They're ok in a pinch but I'd not want to make a CAREER out of them." Said
digital photographer Jimmy Durante.
I'd assumed I'd see some stuff in magazines or in the internet about top
jobs being shot with the M 240 but that's not quite happened yet I bet I
missed one. I'm sure it will in the next couple of years.
And more stuff down with the S system for sure not that its gone CMOS.
discerning pros are going to go larger format before they go smaller.
Part of it is that full frame DSLR'S are not just an SLR with a D in front
of it. They are awesomely capable photographic tools which are a bit hard to
part with way way more  so than a film 35mm SLR which begged you to also
have some medium format to back you up when your film felt small.  I think
its more complicated than a way back SLR film guy having enough money to get
into Leica M6.  Unless one had prior experience with M's in the film days
and one had a huge amount of money for a set of Leica M glass and a backup
second body which is an M 240.  It takes 4 times more money and there would
need to be a "why" because Canon and Nikon is introducing new exciting
cutting edge glass every day that people with those established systems
would love to be also shooting with.  And new high rez and fast and you name
it bodies.
Its not about going from system to system and trying new system concepts and
formats as they are invented. Its about building your full frame DSLR system
so its capable and current and you are using it. Its hard to have too much
glass and there are high and low rez bodies. Fast bodies for sports. All
kinds of bodies. Even cropped bodies which use all your existing full frame
lenes but are compact as hell.
Sorry this is so verbose I'm out the door with no time to cut it down.