Subject: [Leica] RIP, my newspaper
From: boulanger.croissant at gmail.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 01:04:25 -0700

The answer is that the media do not think that their American readership is
interested in anything international except if it directly affects the
U.S., or if it somehow confirms or (occasionally) refutes a dominant
American attitude. Or if it is horriffic, or has something to do with sex,
and the more outrageous the better.

Compare the U.S. vs. International editions of major American publications.
You'll get a rude shock.  Also, compare a 1950s or 60s edition of Time or
Newsweek with a recent one. You'll find less content, less depth, and a
much lower grade-level of writing. None of this is accidental. The
publications life blood is the delivery of eyeballs to advertisers. They
know that today's American eyeballs, on average, will not stay on the page
of intelligent, in-depth articles long enough to see the ads.

--Peter