Subject: [Leica] Screw the Nocti...
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2015 14:31:56 -0400

Richard the 28 has been an established lens in the Leica catalog from day
one. Nikon too.
The first was the Leitz Hektor 28mm f/6.3 1935- 1955.
It was designed to compete with the 28mm f8 Tessar.
This was an era of a few key focal lengths.
The 24 is a relatively recent invention like the day before yesterday.
1998. An upstart. The 24 asph M Elmarit  was a milestone in the history of
optics and keyed in a whole new era of ultra high performance glass from
Leica making asphs which were not double the price of their non asph
predecessors. Just up maybe 20%. There was never a 24mm frame line in a
Leica viewfinder. You'd have to stick on on the hot shoe or just use the
whole .72 existing viewfinder out to the edge.

The angle distance between the 28 and 24 is a bit less than a 35 and a 50 or
a 50 and a 90. But its considered far enough that serious 35mm shooters tend
to get both.
But while the 28 became the new 35 a few decades ago the new 35mm lens now
is an ultra wide zoom. An 18 to 35mm zoom. This is the key lens now. And
28mm is right in the middle of those focal lengths.