Subject: [Leica] Is photography art?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2015 15:48:44 -0400

You've got portrait photography and photographers, commercial and fine art.
Three basic types at least. You'd think there'd be no overlap but there is.
All the work Avedon shot for fashion magazines ended up on the walls at the
MET in '78 Before that he had a retrospective at the Smithsonian Institution
in 1962.  I think that may have been the thing which changed everything.
But it was work not aimed at the "gallery market" but trying to please and
art director. Nowadays its a very well known kind of thing.