Subject: [Leica] Is photography art?
From: george.imagist at icloud.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2015 11:30:32 -0500

On Apr 5, 2015, at 10:18 PM, Bill Pearce wrote:

> In my experience, it is only amateur "Sunday Painters" that speak
> derogatorily of photographers whose work can be seen as artistic. I
> remember the day when dealers, curators and dilettantes spoke ill of
> photography, but the people that I know that are working full time as
> "real" artists don't feel that way at all. It may be that the old fools
> have died off.

More appropriate and interesting questions:

What qualities need to be present in an object to label it a piece of Fine
Art?
What qualities need to be present in a body of work to label the producer a
Fine Artist?

These two questions would be equally valid whether discussing
Painting, Sculpting, Writing, Composing, Playing an Instrument,
Photographing, Dancing, Choreographing, or any other "Art."

Regards,
George Lottermoser

http://www.imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com/blog