Subject: [Leica] THE SAGA of the 15MM----18MM lens! YOU WONT BELIEVE IT! :-(
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 17:34:54 -0700

Hi Crew,
There I was one day several years ago feeling just wonderful acquiring this
most incredible SUPER-WIDE 15MM Lens. Just tickled pink every time I shot
with it on my M cameras, film early days. Now M8 these past few years.

Always feeling like "JOE COOL the SHOOTER" each time I used it and looked at
the incredible captured W/A images.  "REALLY?" :-(

Yes there was a view finder to attach in the hot shoe to give you a bit of
an idea how wide the image might/would be. Well I put one of those thumb
winder things into the hot shoe mount on the M8. So I put the view thingee
in my bag. NEVER USED IT! Why? Well it was always a pain in the butt finding
it in the bag or photo-vest pocket. Not to mention trying to remove the
thumb thingee.

Besides why use one on a digital camera when you "CLICK" and there's the
image to check how it looks? Image looks "cool?" Carry on or whatever? THEN
I WENT TO JOSEMITE NAT. PARK. USA ????? READY?????????? :-)

NO I DIDN'T LOSE IT. READY???????????? My dear friend Bob Adler enlightened
me one day "even though it's a 15mm WA lens rightly so. In reality on an M8
it's only an 18MM LENS!!!!!!!!!!"

My eyes watered,;-)  I felt like I was having trouble breathing! ;-) After
all these years on the M8 I've lost hundreds, nay thousands of millimetres
of view! HOW COULD THAT POSSIBLEY BE????????? Devastated, I blurted out
"EXPLAIN HOW THAT CAN BE?" Beginning to feel weak in the knees after all
these years I have been robbed of image size! ;-)

In a lightening flash Bob responded!

"It only has an "18mm sensor in the M8 camera!" I felt robbed and cheated
both at the same time. ;-)

I gripped myself firmly, held the M8 close to my heart fearful I may throw
it away, as one might do with a cheating lover! ;-) I took several deep
breaths quickly realizing how to correct this devastating cheating camera
"SENSOR!"

Dang, sometimes I amaze myself how quickly I find the answer to what
appeared a kind of theft from my photographs! The correction to the
devastating moment that a friend so callously enlightened me, so
un-expectantly! Bob? Yer bad!! ;-) ;-) ;-)  BUT YER STILL ONE OF THE BEST
BUDDIES A GUY CAN HAVE! :-)

"15mm WIDE ANGLE CORRECTON METHOD!"
To full 15mm lens capabilities???????  READY? OK so it's my method of
keeping it KISS and free? :-)  Take one or two steps back! Look through
camera view finder, center the image, it looks cool and wide angle?  CLICK!!
Another winner! ?? Well? So ok maybe? However, always keep it KISS !

But in all honesty it did throw me off after the many years I've been using
this lens after I sold my LEICA 21mm wide angle lens. Aaahhhhhhh digital
stuff! :-) I'll never understand all this! :-) Besides who cares as long as
you capture that what excites you and keeps paying clients HAPPY! :-)
cheers,
Dr. ted :-)

---

Replies: Reply from john at mcmaster.co.nz (John McMaster) ([Leica] THE SAGA of the 15MM----18MM lens! YOU WONT BELIEVE IT! :-()