Subject: [Leica] Critiques
From: steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour)
Date: Mon, 4 May 2015 12:18:30 -0700

> On May 4, 2015, at 11:48 AM, Doug Herr <wildlightphoto at earthlink.net>
> wrote:
>
> George Lottermoser wrote:
>
>> I'd recommend using:
>>
>> IMG-CRIT
>>
>> If you want Serious Considered Critiques of a single image or series of
>> images.
>> And also give some guidance as the sort or Critique you're looking for:
>>
>> Photographic Art
>> Photographic History
>> Photographic Documentaries
>>
>> Compared to ? what ? Best of Type?
>>
>> What exactly do you need?
>>
> Very clearly expressed.
>
> When critiquing a photograph of a bird I have to consider the
> photographer's goal.  Was it documenting a species?  An illustration?
> Demonstration of behavior?  Art?  I have my own goals for my photographs
> and a critique based on my goals may (and most likely will) miss the point
> of the photograph entirely.  Always have to consider the target audience.

I suspect you can add one more thing that is important to some...will it
sell?

This is pragmatically key, maybe it should matter, maybe not...but it does.

History has proven that what sells may have little to do with artistic
quality...

it  may be shlock.....but we have to face up to it, and address it here.

steve