Subject: [Leica] B&W conversion methods
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Tue, 05 May 2015 22:57:28 +0100

Ken,

great initial image and fascinating converted image. On my screen it looks
like
there is a lot of vignetting: is that imposed by you, and artefact of the
conversion process or is it just my screen?

Here is an example of my process - which is fairly straightforward and all
done
in PSE12. The original RAW file is opened in PSE and NO manipulation is done
at
this stage. In this case it was done simply by using levels on selected areas
after having adjusted the saturation to a higher point than I would normally
tolerate in a colour image. I may then use levels on selected larger areas to
dodge and burn. I find it easier to do all manipulation in PSE. I have used
LR,
but don't really get on with it. NSE doesn't really do what I want.

The original is:

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/PeterDzwig/PESO2011/On+The+Beach/DSCF7327_edited-1.jpg.html
<http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/PeterDzwig/PESO2011/On+The+Beach/DSCF7327_edited-1.jpg.html>

and we end up here:

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/PeterDzwig/PESO2011/On+The+Beach/DSCF7327_V3.jpg.html
<http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/PeterDzwig/PESO2011/On+The+Beach/DSCF7327_V3.jpg.html>

A similar approach was used in this file:

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/PeterDzwig/PESO2011/DSCF6981_edited-2halfscale_edited-1.jpg.html
<http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/PeterDzwig/PESO2011/DSCF6981_edited-2halfscale_edited-1.jpg.html>

but that took a lot of time and hardwork on the detailing. I'm still not
entirely staisfied, but that is printing... ;-)

Peter