Subject: [Leica] New M(246) Outputs 12 bit Files
From: richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man)
Date: Tue, 5 May 2015 16:08:42 -0700
References: <CAAsXt4M8TOqVD30bX_TRpDr8Q6QDFXvZWTSSso2_PL6zdHUWsg@mail.gmail.com> <CAMk=+XWCtsT_eGOSCLZMSMP=SyxdTPbCEopcWTE7chvXnyAjGw@mail.gmail.com> <5548ECD3.6040900@lighttube.net> <CAAsXt4OmRRQ9NBFUyYMrdWm=uwJ6tFQgxPDBQsEU_9aTQohg2Q@mail.gmail.com> <5DAB6492-6B47-4620-A495-5D0943B49364@gmail.com> <CAH1UNJ005f-LZsi2290Kdg3mE6jqAoyuauqd0Fjf5w8BU=Yrng@mail.gmail.com> <ED53986B-36FF-47D6-B6B7-CBA4F6DD8D31@mac.com> <CAAsXt4MbAMgP0kf22z_QJFBt5349=imx2RrMuBmSxJQHupmR3w@mail.gmail.com> <CAN4TZQ6L5AJp4LuEUQg3ngVaUuBknXAWkkrg-7C9vCCZZht8WQ@mail.gmail.com> <ED1D24B1-F732-4014-B1B6-5ECB83850CEA@gmail.com>

TECHNICALLY, there is always mumble-jumble about signal noise and leakage
current blah blah blah that apologists would say "12 bits is just fine
because the rest is mostly random noise anyway."

Technically, it's (mostly) true.

On the other hand, you can bet that if there is no FINANCIAL reason (which
might be as simple as increasing the buffer size or performance of the
Maestro processor), they would have just gone with 14 bits.

--
// http://facebook.com/richardmanphoto
// https://instagram.com/richardmanphoto

Message from tmanley at gmail.com (Tina Manley) ([Leica] New M(246) Outputs 12 bit Files)