Subject: [Leica] New M(246) Outputs 12 bit Files
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 06 May 2015 10:34:52 -0400

Peter according  to some guy on the internet its not a matter of a few steps
up from 12 to 14 bit. Its  4 times as many shades of intensity in a given
range.
That sounds like a big deal for me.
And with a Terabyte hard disk costing $99 plus tax and license I don't car
if they take up more space. Space is close to free. But they say its not
really a vacuum.

12 bit has 4,096 Total distinct values    (TDV's)
14 bit has 16,384 Total distinct values
That's a lot more values!  12,288 of them!
I value those values! Why not I have nothing else better to do in my spare
time!?