Subject: [Leica] Save up your pennies... Quickly
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 20:35:24 -0400

When the M came along in 1954 they needed a camera with a bayonet mount
instead of a screw mount to compete against the Contax and they needed a
thumb advance lever instead of a knob to compete against anything before
that we had the screw mount cameras which get called by us LTM Leica thread
mounts some of which the earlier versions get lovingly referred to as
"Barnack's" as they were a bit closer to his vision. These cameras with a
collapsible lens on them can fit in any pants or shirt jacket pocket you'd
wear. Not a pocket-watch pocket of course but any other. Your top hanky
pocket of your sport jacket would be a nice place to pull out your IIIF or
IIIc and grab a quick snap and them put it right back in again before anyone
knew the difference... If you preset the focus and the metering.
But the M was way bigger and heavier than the thread mount cameras.
This was 1954.
Barnack died in 1936.
Did his vision live on?
I'd say no the M's were about as heavy and bulky as many SLR's.
I don't think mirrorless Is the answer.
The LTM' s were made another three years after the debut of the M3.
The M's have been miraculously saved from oblivion with the digital M's and
the vision of Dr. Andreas Kaufmann.
The same has to happen with the LTM' s. I'm betting he knows that and has
acted upon it.