Subject: [Leica] Be a photographer
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 06 May 2015 12:12:19 -0400

I should have said that your right.
The people who've been documenting the human conditions all this time have
been news photographers. The ones who've come up with fancier names for
themselves have perhaps been the ones working on a more amateur level.
Serious photogs but not really making money at it. Those were the ones doing
documentary or reportage photography.
I'm afraid this new "street" word which has popped up when I was looking the
other way just connotes to me "hipsters".
Hipsters living in Brooklyn with alternate ideas of camera gear who do more
than just shooting their kids opening holiday presents with their
interesting cameras. They put it on their Blog.

On 5/6/15 11:36 AM, "Sonny Carter" <sonc.hegr at gmail.com> wrote:

> "Documentary photography and journalism is a thing which goes way back."

When
> I got my first job taking pictures (1965), we were called
> "news
photographers."

Did not matter if we were shooting for a newspaper,
> wire service, or TV.

Sometimes "news cameramen"   (that went away when more
> women came into the
job.)

They like to call themselves "Photo-Journalist"
> these days.

I do believe there's a fine but perceptible difference between a
> "Street
Photographer" and a "News Photographer"

It is called "paycheck."

On