Subject: [Leica] Be a photographer
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri, 8 May 2015 09:27:17 -0700

Hi there,
Given it's the end of the week and I'm closing off I thought I'd leave you
folks with this as one of hundreds of assignments since September 17, 1951!

"REAL LIFE NEWS PHOTOGRAPHER MOMENT!"   "being a photographer!"
And some of you have no idea what these kind of assignments can do to you
over the course of 60 YEARS?  Been good to know many of you face to face and
in company or on screen!

cheers,
Dr. ted

SITUATION: Phone rings, you are quickly given instructions by the news
editor! "BIG FIRE WITH FAMILY...SOME DEAD!"

You arrive, the fire is out and firemen are inside looking for victims??????
Now without a clue of what's going on nor what's happened you see firemen
emerging with three stretchers, bodies covered. You start shooting and it's
late evening so the attached strobe on your 4X5 Speed Graphic begins
flashing every time you "CLICK!"

You are completely innocent up to this point as you do not know who the
victims are? Just another news assignment on the night shift!

When all of a sudden a man is screaming, yelling all kinds of obscenities at
me as he runs toward me to stop taking pictures. I mean this man was
completely out of control! As well as crying unbelievably so! While
yelling.....
"STOP TAKING PICTURES OF MY GIRLS!"  THE VICTEMS !!      His three young
daughters! :-(

I'm dead in my tracks! The camera dropped loosely in my hand by my side and
I left the scene immediately!!!!! Both crying in fear of the fathers' wrath
and my emotions! How could I possibly continue? I cried and cried as I sat
in my car trying to regain my composure before returning to the paper.

You see this occurred on my second night shift working for a newspaper as an
absolute rookie! Some assignments you just never ever forget! :-( But most
certainly you learn about "compassion and when to stop taking pictures!"

What the years have taught me is to use common sense and look at the
situation if it were reversed???? And you were being photographed?

Oh there's been times you walk away without a "click!" Wishing you were back
home with your wife and children!

This "LUG photographer" discussion without question? Can go on forever. But
the answer lies in the heart and soul and emotions of the photographer!
"Real photographers." And certainly not by the concepts of others!
"CERTAINLY IF YOU'VE NEVER BEEN THERE UNDER FIRE!"

cheers,
Dr. ted

---

Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Be a photographer)