Subject: [Leica] Panorama in LR
From: robert.rose at mac.com (Robert Rose)
Date: Sat, 09 May 2015 13:38:25 -0700

I have been using the new Lightroom tool, and I agree that it is nice.  I am
a long time user of Hughin.  Some quick observations:

1.  Lightroom?s pano-tool primary advantage over Photoshop (or for that
matter Hughin) is that it is in Lightroom, and you don?t have to exit to
another program.  So, I am using it more.  Same as a plug-in versus a
standalone program.  You can right click on the photo set, and edit in
Photoshop.

2.  Lightroom will merge in the background, but if you don?t have an
industrial strength machine things do slow down.  You can check on progress
by watching the bars in the upper left, and kill a process by left-clicking
the bars and selecting the slow poke.

3.  You can change the projection before you merge, but I have found the
auto feature knows more than me.

4.  I have not tried it with multi-row panos yet, but I am not a fan of
multi-rows.

5.  The BIG improvement over early pano makers is that you don?t have to
make the set with auto exposure off.  This is great because you don?t have
to fiddle with a digital graduate ND filter.  This is true for all the
current programs; Photoshop, Panorama Maker, Hughin, etc.  Here is an
example of a 180 pano taken with manual exposure on a high end Nikon,
stitched recently with Lightroom, after applying a graduated neutral density
filter:
http://robertrose.photos/galleries/hdr/bet-shean-seat-panorama.html
<http://robertrose.photos/galleries/hdr/bet-shean-seat-panorama.html>

If you use one exposure (for the older programs) you will get a variation in
light, as in the banner from the top of the Golan Heights (looking west
toward Israel) at the top of this page:
http://www.rosehistory.info <http://www.rosehistory.info/>

6.  If you don?t have 20% overlap, all auto stitchers have issues.  If you
have less or moving clouds try manual stitching (e.g., Hughin).  That lets
you pick the stitch points.  The auto stitch engine in Lightroom will refuse
to merge if you have some conflicting points.  One of the main disadvantages
of Hughin, however, is that it has a typical open source interface; perfect
for the geek who created it, but not so much for a user.  I use a panohead
from Nodal Ninja.  I have calibrated which ring works with which lens, and
just stick to that.  For example, my 14 stop ring (14 for a 360) works with
a 35 Summicron in portrait mode.   For a great site with an overlap
calculator look at
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/image-projections.htm
<http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/image-projections.htm>

7.  A Leica works great for panoramas; and the fixed focal length lenses are
perfect.  A zoom lens must be taped in order to prevent it changing; a
slight change in focal length will stop a merge.  I orient my camera in
portrait mode, with a 35mm lens set for hyperfocal infinity at f/8, auto
ISO, auto speed.  I just slide the camera so that the focus ring is over the
center of rotation in order to set the nodal point.  (BTW, nodal points are
a big deal only if you have some near object)  I try to click off the
exposures quickly to minimize cloud movement.  Some examples of Lightroom
panos taken this way with a Leica are at:
http://robertrose.photos/galleries/hdr/chino-hills-south.html
<http://robertrose.photos/galleries/hdr/chino-hills-south.html>
http://robertrose.photos/galleries/hdr/chino-hills-north.html
<http://robertrose.photos/galleries/hdr/chino-hills-north.html>

8.  Last point.  If you want to do panoramas stick to 180 degrees or less.
The wider the FOV the more it becomes impossible to eliminate the weird
curved lines, regardless of program.  Remember the Mercator World map on the
venetian blind roller in grade school?

Robert Rose
robert.rose at mac.com <mailto:robert.rose at mac.com>
www.robertrose.photos <http://www.robertrose.photos/>