Subject: [Leica] Lightroom CC and New Hardware
From: robert.rose at mac.com (Robert Rose)
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 20:59:24 -0700

I just upgraded my hardware from a Macbook Air to a Macbook Pro, and I have
some observations on Lightroom CC and migration in general that may be
useful to you.

Migration Generally

Since more software vendors are hiding registration files this is not for
the faint of heart.  Don?t try this unless you have at least one day for the
physical migration, and about 3 hours per important program to devote to
locating old license keys, fixing permissions, etc.

I recommend that you document all programs beforehand, with website logins,
passwords, serial numbers, license keys, etc.  Even if you successfully
migrate files, or restore from a Time Machine, expect to be asked to reinput
your license.

For a Mac, here is another wrinkle:  your home account comprises your name
and the name of your home folder.  If you are going to migrate easily the
home folder on the new machine will need the same name.  Also, using the
same name lets you inherit the old backup files on your Time Machine.

For a Mac to Mac, setup the new Mac first (you will need your WiFi password)
and use the same name and home folder name as the old machine.  Then use
Migration Assistant on both machines.  (in the Utilities folder)  Set the
old machine as the ?from? and the new machine as the ?to? machine.  Use a
Thunderbolt cable to connect if that is an option.  To physically transfer
files expect that it will take some time.  I connected the old and new
machines by a direct Thunderbolt cable and transfer of 200GB of files took
around one hour.

Interface Connections

Here is a tip:  USB 3.0 is fast but for some reason external devices don?t
like USB hubs.  I have better luck with a Thunderbolt hub with on board USB
3.0 ports.  There are two USB 3.0 ports on a Macbook Pro.  You will
immediately use both.  Changing to a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and using
the Wi-Fi connection on my text printer saves some port pressure, but I can
see that I am going to be hot-swapping USB cords.

If you use an external monitor, it may be time for a new monitor.
Thunderbolt seems happiest with HDMI, not DVI.  Lightroom has very good soft
proofing ability, but you need a paper profile.  For some guidance, check my
blog on this:
http://robertrose.photos/photo-chips--a-blog/soft-proofing.html
<http://robertrose.photos/photo-chips--a-blog/soft-proofing.html>

Lightroom & Photoshop

If you have an early copy (ha! May 2015) of CC you will likely need a patch
to the Application Manager. The online page they send you to is misleading,
since the patch I needed was near the bottom of the page.  Just read the
whole page carefully.  The download was undocumented.  For shame, Adobe.  A
new folder appeared when I downloaded it; I guessed that I needed to open
the folder and run the install app. Then it asked for my Adobe login info.
I still don?t know if everything is okay, however.

Some hardware tips:  Lightroom likes memory, but don?t go crazy.  I got 16
GB.  Lightroom is sure to use 2 to 4 GB of this, and if you want to run
Lightroom and Photoshop at the same time the extra memory will be used.

Lightroom doesn?t make use of all the cores on a multi-core machine, but
faster is better for the processor.

If you are using an external drive for the primary storage of image files
then you will be much happier with a high speed interface such as USB 3.0 or
Thunderbolt.

Lightroom loves memory, fast drives, fast interface (USB 3.0), and a fast
processor.

Robert Rose
robert.rose at mac.com <mailto:robert.rose at mac.com>
www.robertrose.photos <http://www.robertrose.photos/>