Subject: [Leica] Special Gallery: The 24 Hours of LeMons
From: jshulman at judgecrater.com (Jim Shulman)
Date: Tue, 12 May 2015 21:46:24 -0400

No, this is not a typo of LeMans.  This is one of a series of auto races
around the USA with a difference: the cars cannot cost more than $500
(though there is no limit to expenditures on safety equipment, and the
safety standards, including roll cages, fuel cells, fire suits, etc. are
elaborate and match current race standards).  The cars carry a wide (and
interesting) array of decorations; the drivers and their pit crews are
similarly decorated.  As you can imagine, I had myself a swell time.  And
yes, I did see another Leica: a Leicasonic model from a few years ago.  The
Leicasonic was faring much better than the fellow?s car, which was
experiencing some engine difficulty.  More information here:
https://www.24hoursoflemons.com/

There used to be a lottery at the event, where one car was selected at
random and crushed.  Evidently there was an outcry from the participants,
and that adventure in auto-euthenasia stopped faster than an overheated
Vega.

It?s about the only racing event where all the racing fuel was 87 octane.

Leica M3, Summilux 50 and Summicron 90, Neopan 400.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/focusit/24lemons/

Jim Shulman

Wynnewood, PA

Replies: Reply from leica at jayburleson.com (Jay Burleson) ([Leica] Special Gallery: The 24 Hours of LeMons)