Subject: [Leica] (SPAM: ?) RE: (SPAM: ?) Re: So much for "film is forever"..
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 12:52:05 -0700

I hate to burst another bubble, but....  SSD's do not last forever.

The following is a technical discussion, so those short on patience for
technical data may wish to skip it all together......

SSD's lose their ability to be re-used.  IOW, they eventually get stuck
bits.  You will not be able to write to them another time, eventually.  How
long?  Somewhere around 5K-100K  erase-write cycles.  This is on an
individual cell basis.  Marketing guys absolutely do not tell you this.
They would have you believe they are more reliable than HDD ( which may or
may not be true) and are faster (true).

How does that relate to a user?  Like the useful lifetime of the computer,
about 3-5 years, when you will toss your old computer and buy something more
whiz-bangy with new SSD's (or whatever is bleeding edge at that time.)  This
is the practical answer.

There is a disconnect between the technology ( proven, electronic
performance data), marketing hype, and practical information.

This is a handy practical discourse on SSD's.... well worth the time to read
it, understand it, and make best use of your SSD...
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2043634/how-to-stretch-the-life-of-your-ssd-storage.html

Piers first statement about losing a file because his data was incompatible
with current OS or hardware is 100% correct.  Every time there is a major
change of storage technology, or in his case, software, this is a real
threat.  ( think of floppies, 8 inch, 5 1/2 inch and 3 1/2 inch or tape
drives as examples  For that matter, certain HDD technologies that were
common a few years ago are no longer supported in current OS.. And
therefore, any data stored on them is also useless.. Today's computers have
no physical capability to put a floppy into the computer,,, no less the OS
to support it).  WHEN not IF there is a major shift in storage technology or
software, you had best pay attention so that you are not using the
equivalent of 8 inch floppies in 2015.....

Piers explanation is correct, that, in practical use, powered up, an SSD is
not to be worried about.

But do not believe there is no "wear" in SSD's because they are non-spinning
memories.... ( The Electrical Engineering part of the equation)

For the sake of completeness, RAM and un-alterable ROM does not suffer from
any wear.  It may and will eventually die, but not for any of the reasons we
have been talking about.  It will far outlive your computer, and maybe
yourself.......and your Grandkids......

If all of this is too technical for you, but you care that your pictures of
you kids as babies are saved for the next 5 generations, then just do as we
have told you.. refresh those old data files on new media if it is
indicated.  That is 5 minutes, twice a year, every year.

But keep in mind that when you pass on to the great digital or analog
darkroom in the sky, your kids will probably take your computer and toss it.
 They may or may not look at any of the images you have crafted.  They
certainly do not want the 16TB of images you have from them as babies........

Frank Filippone
Red735i at verizon.net

Exogenous vs endogenous heat, Tina. That is, you must not keep them
unpowered in a room likely to get above 75F. Allegedly. But if they are
powered (and not getting hot) you don't need to worry.

Piers

I thought the great thing about SSDs is that they do not get hot.

Tina

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] (SPAM: ?) RE: (SPAM: ?) Re: So much for "film is forever"..)
Reply from spencer at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng) ([Leica] (SPAM: ?) RE: (SPAM: ?) Re: So much for "film is forever"..)
Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] (SPAM: ?) Re: So much for "film is forever"..)