Subject: [Leica] Lightroom Internet Connection Explained
From: robert.rose at mac.com (Robert Rose)
Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 16:57:57 -0700

There is a lot of concern over what Internet connection is required to use
Lightroom, or any other part of CC.  Here is the best answer I have found
from Adobe:

"Inspire: Do Creative Cloud members need to be connected to the Internet to
use the products?

"Sharma: No. Members need an Internet connection to download the desktop
tools to their computer. They do not need to be online to use the products.
Of course, an Internet connection is required at times to make sure their
software is up-to-date and to verify their membership is active (paid for).
And of course, they need to be online to collaborate and ensure the content
on their desktop Creative Cloud folder and their online Creative Cloud
storage is in sync. But otherwise, customers use our products just like they
have in the past. The products run on their computer (not the Internet).?
http://www.adobe.com/inspire/2012/06/creative-cloud-answers.html
<http://www.adobe.com/inspire/2012/06/creative-cloud-answers.html>

There is a pending question on the Adobe boards about stuttering, as yet
unanswered:
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1829516
<https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1829516>

There is a discussion about the 30 day status check (which supposedly can be
done at a Starbuck?s) and other Creative Cloud questions:
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1073234
<https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1073234>

Also, check this out:
http://creativeclouduser.com/qa-do-i-need-to-be-constantly-connected-to-the-internet-to-use-adobe-cc-applications/

<http://creativeclouduser.com/qa-do-i-need-to-be-constantly-connected-to-the-internet-to-use-adobe-cc-applications/>

Since I live connected to the Internet (almost like an umbilical cord) I am
very happy with CC, but I understand the concern.  I think that big
companies assume that everyone everywhere has an Internet connection, but
from what I know the world Internet penetration is closer to 40%.
http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats.htm
<http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats.htm>

And, for that matter, if the electricity isn?t on you won?t get to the
Internet.  Take a look at World Bank data
(http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/EG.ELC.ACCS.ZS
<http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/EG.ELC.ACCS.ZS>) and you will see a
wide disparity.  Even in those places with high numbers it doesn?t guarantee
that it is on 24/7.

If you would like to build a hydroelectric plant in a bathtub to generate
electricity you can check this out:
https://what-if.xkcd.com/91/ <https://what-if.xkcd.com/91/>

But, of course, that requires that you have an Internet connection to read
it.  For that matter, how are you reading this?

I wish you the best of luck.

Robert Rose
robert.rose at mac.com <mailto:robert.rose at mac.com>
www.robertrose.photos <http://www.robertrose.photos/>