Subject: [Leica] eBay scam?
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2015 11:54:09 -0400

It sounds like what must have happened to your relative is that the thief,
after winning the auction, generated a spoofing email that appeared to come
from PayPal notifying him of receipt of payment.

I don?t think this can happen if the transaction takes place entirely
through eBay, that is, if notification of payment is confirmed to be genuine
by directly logging onto one?s eBay account and not by what appears to be an
email directly from eBay or PayPal.

After all the advice I?ve gotten from several forums, I?ve become pretty
disenchanted with the idea of selling a high-value item to Moscow.

?howard