Subject: [Leica] IMG: Danny with ice cream
From: boulanger.croissant at gmail.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2015 16:12:47 -0700

Bob:  Thanks!  As for more info, fair enough.  The MM files often seem flat
out of camera, but that's due to the dynamic range.  When I tried Jay's MM
last December, the thing that impressed me the most was the tonal gradation
and file flexibility. I already knew about the resolution improvements and
had seen many pictures by Jono Slack and others. Seeing it all for myself
cemented my desire for the camera. The new M246 may be better in some
respects, but this one is more than good enough for me. It gives what I've
wanted for a long time.

Here are some details to chew on.  ISO 320, 35mm Summicron IV at f/4, 1/180
sec. Exposure compensation at  -0.7, globally boosted 0.3 in PP.  The photo
is about half of the original, horizontal frame.  Software: Capture One
7.2.  Sharpening reduced to almost nothing and noise reduction turned
off. I used three layer masks to dodge and burn:

1. Window darkened -0.4 stops.
2. Entire face and neck brightened 0.4 stops, contrast increased 1 point.
3. Shadow side of the face further brightened 0.3 stops and contrast
increased 8 points.

Don't believe the EXIF, it was set to a 21/2.8--I'd played with my VC 21/4
the day before.

Just for fun, here's the original picture, with no PP, just the Capture One
defaults:
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/temp/L1100848-noPP.jpg.html>
and the PPed-version again:
<
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
N04/18467283075/in/dateposted-public/lightbox/

100% crop of the face:
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/temp/L1100848-FaceDetail.jpg.html>
100% crop showing the tonality and texture, from the dark jacket to the
while napkin in light and shadow.
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/temp/L1100848-NapkinDetail.jpg.html

The MM is wonderful.

--Peter