Subject: [Leica] OT: Anti-Virus Software for Mac
From: robert.rose at mac.com (Robert Rose)
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 22:06:24 -0700

I use the free ClamXav scanner.  Get it at the App Store.  There is no
reason not to use it.  I set it to autoupdate definitions and autoscan.

This is the program that the Genius Bar recommended.  They said nothing else
was needed if I did a regular scheduled scan.

It automatically sends bad files to quarantine and kills them.  Cheap at
twice the price.

There are definitely virus programs floating around that infect Macs.  They
(in my experience) are in these classes:

Adware
Java based which you pickup at websites you should have avoided
Phishing email attachments

OSX is loaded with roadblocks that help avoid the Java stuff.  The problem
is that they usually filter too much, and in particular it causes severe
headaches with the US Patent Office (I spend a lot of time on their website).

One type of online malware that really annoys me is the popup.  It might
warn me that my computer is infected (really just bullshit), and perversely
clicking anything will install some adware.  The only way to defeat it is
force quit Safari and start over.

A new malware attack is the extortion popup.  This warns me that something
bad will happen unless I send money.  Actually the malware is the extortion
demand itself. Nothing really has been done to the computer, so simply force
quitting Safari defeats it.

The way to avoid an email virus is what you already know ? don?t open
anything from someone you were not expecting.  You can run it through
ClamXav if you want to be super careful.

Replies: Reply from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] OT: Anti-Virus Software for Mac)