Subject: [Leica] Leica Q at Leica Store München
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2015 16:18:59 -0400

While in Munich last weekend, I visited the Leica Store on Brienerstra?e
hoping to have a look at the Q. I got to handle and shoot a little with
their demo model and found it easy to handle and work with. What a novelty,
autofocus in a ?real? Leica, not to mention a robust macro mode. Price, 3995
Euros?just a little more than B&H?s price. I was a little nonplussed by its
size, only 1 cm narrower than the M240 and the same in height. I?d have
hoped that without the volume occupied by the M's mechanical RF, the body
could have been shorter than the digital Ms. It looks strangely square from
front or back.

By contrast, the Sony RX-1 with FF sensor and fixed 35mm lens is a full inch
narrower than the M240, over half an inch shorter than M and Q, and almost
an inch shallower than the Q. I?d have hoped a similar machine from Leica
would be similarly compact. The most compelling aspects of the Q are Leica
glass, autofocus, a viewfinder?through-the-lens at that?and a FF sensor for
thousands less than an M. Its most distinctive categorical advantage over
the RX-1 is that EVF. Even match on the fixed prime wide-angle normal lenses
(when I regularly toted an R4 around with only one lens, it was usually the
28mm Elmarit). But with a much smaller form factor, as well as price factor,
with autofocus and Carl Zeiss glass, the Sony at its current reduced price
is a mighty attractive proposition when you?ve gotta have a FF in your
pocket. The main deterrent to me is that they couldn?t find a way to cram an
EVF into the interior volume and back-panel real estate. I love my NEX7 and
would like to see a FF version of same, even with less zoom, like 21-35 mm.

But there was this about the store as well: I got a Leica high just from
being in the place. Display cabinets on three walls, with what must have
been over a hundred used bodies of practically every Leica model from late
pre-M to M240, and SLRs from Leicaflex to R9 and S, and a similar number of
lenses, plus accessories. Some bodies were stacked several deep! All for
sale! And new ones, including the new M Monochrom. I did make a few
interested noises about the Q before the very friendly and helpful Herr
Michael M?ller tilted his head, got a very wistful look on his face, and
sadly said ?We sold out 45 minutes ago?? and explained that they?d sold 45
Qs since it was released. I was lucky to escape without my Amex card seeing
daylight.

For any list members visiting Munich (or anywhere else in Bavaria!), it?s
worth a visit even if you have to skip the Hofbr?u Haus.

?howard