Subject: [Leica] Leica Fotographie Magazine downloads......
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2015 12:19:16 +0100

I agree, obviously I wish that he had got Leica's permission. I presume all
the
photogs ceded at least some of their rights to Leica.

If he is intending to create an archive of issues for public access and with
at
least a reasonable lifespan, then he is performing a service both to the
Leica
community and to photography as a whole, using copies which we assume that he
purchased himself.

However I doubt that the archive will have permanence beyond maybe ten years
or
so, unless others get involved and Leica give it their blessing.

Obviously I understand your perspective but there is a tension here. If
nothing
were done a resource of historical importance - to some, at least -  would be
lost. How do we resolve the issue between preserving an archive of any sort
and
copyright in this fast changing world? Private collections always were the
route
to preservation. There would after all be no British Museum without the
Cotton
Collection and bequest.

Peter