Subject: [Leica] Leicaflex users, past and present... Question.....
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2015 17:10:47 -0400

My 0.02, the focus peaking works wonderfully well if you have a lens with
excellent contrast; any of the new ASPH's or Canon L lenses work very
well.  In fact, the only lenses that cause me grief are the older
generation wide angles like the 21 3.4 SA or a Russian 35 Biogon clone.

Lenses with near 0 depth of field also work very well such as the 75
Summilux or a Noctilux both wide open.  The trick is to set the focus
peaking level to the least that you can consistently detect.  Then just
like the old days of manual focus where you were looking at the increased
contrast as much as the relative sharpness of an image you look for the
focus peaking color to drift across the image as you focus.  Just like Dr.
Ted tells you with a rangefinder, don't saw back and forth but when the
color hits you are in focus.

I have had a Nex 7 since they came out and also have had a A7R for a while
now.  It is just a new skill to learn and as always the best lenses do
better.

0.02 out

--
Don