Subject: [Leica] "new" equipment
From: john at mcmaster.fr (John McMaster)
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 22:14:49 +0200

Indeed, after Leica adapted my 1.4x focussing tube to work on S there is a
whole paragraph of disclaimers about how it is now configured right on the
edge of what it can do, that focussing to infinity too hard may break the
lock and that it is generally unrepairable due to lack of spare parts....

"I like to inform you about the above mentioned equipment and the repair we
finally and successfully finished. As mentioned earlier this is a
non-standard repair and success will remain open till the end.

I need to point out in your case it was more than tricky and we had to
improvise. You will now reach infinity by absolutely physical limit. !!! But
focusing to infinity should be done smooth and carefully !!!! When infinity
is closely reached do not turn over with power / pressure. If so you will
damage the lens and that can not be repaired again.

Under special circumstances - very hot / very cold - the image can be out of
alignment (infinity) caused by material expansion. This was the compromise
we had to take. Otherwise the service couldn't be offered at all. I hope for
understanding and further more I hope you will realize what we made happen
for you - our customer"

Still to send the 2x to them....

john