Subject: [Leica] Voigtlander Nokton 1.1 yes or no?
From: boulanger.croissant at gmail.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 14:25:49 -0700
References: <C100AA41-150A-4240-9DC3-B6A553D1A8A5@gmail.com> <DA460484-E037-424F-B6D9-DAC98A8E5F45@gmail.com> <CAF8hL-FG4oOC4rSYs1xy2bJqVDZ8f+N6cycF4zK=bD8DgJrMWQ@mail.gmail.com> <4E97371C-5A07-4843-90AE-410E42123DD8@gmail.com> <CAF8hL-FQj1t9-zhjC7Z1yQThhzOi6u7quJ7x5+Tc-xDF1cy+Vw@mail.gmail.com> <63730231-070F-40C1-B37F-E25AF76C5FB6@gmail.com> <CAHgrdCQOkvmdeM9X2bAwNF=EJ1rDeC94D4KzbWe0rBWaWZSG9A@mail.gmail.com> <C534A061-817C-4FB0-A611-83638E7B5085@gmail.com>

Kyle: The 50 Nokton 1.1 is fine if you only use if wide open or nearly so.
Significant focus shift otherwise. This wasn't quiet so bad on film (Tom A
loves his). But said shift is not your friend on digital..  It's a
specialty lens.

It's too bad that used Leica lens prices have gone stupid-crazy since the
M8 came out.  I personally would recommend any of the last-formula classic
non-asph 50 Summicrons--I have one with a focus tab that I got for $400
around the year 2000.  Remember, this design was THE 50 for years.  They
just deliver.  But they are over $1,000 these days. The current Zeiss 50/2
has a different look, but is very, very good as well.  Either of those
would probably be the last 50 you'd *need* to buy ("need" as opposed to
"want").

I have a 50/1.5 Nokton (screwmount, closest focus .9m).  If I'm doing
available dark, that's what I take, but I prefer the Summicron if f/2 will
do.  The Nokton is actually a very good lens. It does have the tendency to
give very harsh bokeh if you're focusing close and there are bright
highlights at medium distances.

The Canon 50/1.8 is quiet good--very similar in rendering to the Dual Range
or Rigid Summicrons. They do tend to have issues with the original
lubricant outgassing and depositing itself on the inner elements. The
50/1.4 is also quite good. So getting another Canon is a possibility. If
you like your current lens, you might consider sending it to DAG and
getting it CLAed.

Since you are a pro who travels to strange laboratories to photograph rock
stars and rocket scientists, you gotta deliver when you get the call.  Do
you shoot a Leica M-anything for a significant part of you work?  Then for
my money, it would be worth it to just get a used 50 Summicron or Summilux,
checked out by a good repairman. Keep it forever. (They also make great
portrait lenses on micro 4/3, BTW).  Maybe get your Canon CLAed for a
couple hundred and keep it for an older look and as a spare.

The good news is that there are very few bad rangefinder 50s.  Picking the
right one is a matter of what you shoot, what apertures you mostly use,
price, build quality, and what feels good in your hand (the latter being
much more important than most people realize).

Hope this helps!
--Peter