Subject: [Leica] HDRitis?
From: leica_r8 at hotmail.com (Aram Langhans)
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 17:02:42 -0700

There are a few people in my camera club that try HDR, too.  In my opinion,
they overdo it.  I have rarely seen an HDR that I think looks good.  Of
course, maybe there are some that look good and the person does not admit to
using HDR.  In those cases, I would say they did it right.

I have thought a good deal about this and I wonder if the reason it looks
"wrong" to experienced photographers is because we have come up from film,
and with film we had certain expectations as to what was possible and what
was not.  I am talking slide film for me.  I expected shadows to be blocked
up if I did not burn out the highlights.  I had a fairly limited dynamic
range.

This film look is engrained in our minds.  When some new technique like HDR
comes along, it looks wrong.  Not "natural" meaning not what film could
accomplish.  I have tried a few in the past, and have tried a few more now
that Lightroom has HDR built in.  did not like the earlier attempts, but I
do not mind what LR is kicking out.  Maybe because they use RAW files?  Not
sure.  And maybe because I don't push it much.

I have also found out that as digital cameras have gotten better, especially
those with the Sony sensors, they have so much dynamic range that I can get
about everything I want from a single well exposed image.  When I hear those
guys with their autobracketing set to fire off 5 shots every time, I wonder
about their abilities as a photographer vs their abilities as a computer
technician.  Where does their skill lie?  I told one once that if he knew
how to expose one frame he could save himself a lot of time. I don't think
he appreciated my comment.

I think those who push it beyond what is natural are claiming artistic
freedom.  Ansel Adam's idea that the print is the negative is the score and
the print is the performance.  But I don't like their performance.

I think Jeffery has it right:  "Sort of like how artists feel about Thomas
Kinkade".  Well stated.

Aram