Subject: [Leica] Fulton County Fair
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2015 21:44:21 -0400

I use the term ?politically incorrect? to denote the kind of usage that so
many people take umbrage at, the rest of us good-hearted souls can?t venture
near it!

The depiction of the Aunt Jemima-like cook on the cover would be frowned on
nowadays. Even the Aunt Jemima brand has made the image of its namesake as
non-stereotypic as possible while leaving her identifiably Black.

I agree that one would have to work hard to take offense at it, since it?s
not an exaggerated or defamatory caricature, and of course the implication
that Black mama figures are just naturally good cooks can be regarded as
complimentary. Still, many do carry that chip on their shoulders and would
regard it as a racial stereotype, and therefore racIST. Similar
undercurrents are seen in attributing academic success to Asian-Americans,
and prowess in law and business to Jews. Unfortunately, now, even a passing
acknowledgement of race in context of something that is actually associated
with that race can be regarded as racist. Few people seem to understand that
racIAL ? racIST and that taking note of racial differences does not a racist
make. My favorite recent example of this came at halloween a year ago, when
a White actress made herself up as a favorite TV character from ?Orange is
the New Black?. The character happened to be Black, and the actress was
vilified by self-appointed social critics who accused her of committing
blackface, which she most certainly did not. FWIW, the actress who plays the
character went on record as being non-offended. Going in blackface as a
generic Black person would have been indefensible, but there?s nothing
intrinsically wrong with a White person dressing up in a non-caricatural way
for halloween as a specific public figure or media character who happens to
be Black. Those whose chosen role in life is to manufacture and criticize
social offenses and bask in their self-imagined importance saw it
differently, and unfortunately the poor girl felt the need to apologize
instead of inviting her critics to take a flying leap.

Today, especially in Left Coast academia, showing this cover would be
classified as a ?microaggression? and would come with a ?trigger warning?.

Just sayin?. No offense.

?howard