Subject: [Leica] Sensor corrosion?
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2015 21:35:24 -0700

Nathan, the M (240) has an entirely different sensor. In the first place, it
is CMOS. The M9 sensor is CCD. I don?t know all that much about the
difference in practice, except that the CMOS has remarkably less noise at
extravagantly high ISO.

There may still be quality control problems these days with Leica. My M
arrived with two-year-old firmware, and when the firmware was brought up to
date, a problem showed up which forced Leica to replace the circuit board.
However, my Fuji X100S had to be sent back twice for a defective switch
because the low-level types who first checked it out when it was sent in for
warranty repair reported it flawless and returned it untouched.

This just says I had bad luck. Most people have not had any problems,
judging by the reaction when I did some bellyaching on the LUG last year.

Herbert Kanner
kanner at acm.org

Question Authority and the authorities will question you.