Subject: [Leica] Re; Trouble with iMac
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2015 15:01:34 -0400

Nathan,
        I replaced the HD on a model 8.1 iMac just about the same age as
yours. I bought mine in 2008 and it functioned flawlessly for 7 years and
then the drive started giving me trouble. It had nothing to do with El
Capitan since the machine was running Snow Leopard OS 10.6.8. Replacing the
factory drive with an aftermarket model solved the problem. The new 2 gb
drive has four times the capacity of?the old one and works flawlessly. It
was quite cheap and easy to install. Apple?technicians tell me that a drive
life of seven years is better than average. Especially for one in?continuous
use. A SSD is a good idea but I was unable to find one of reasonable cost
that had the capacity of the older rotating discs. Maybe on a few more years.
        I installed a beta version of El Capitan OS 11.1 on a MacBook Air
and find it totally different from the operating systems I have become used
to. It hides too many decisions from me. Photo is far inferior to the older
iPhoto. It's OK for a portable computer but I like the older stuff better.
Larry Z

Replies: Reply from geneduprey2015 at gmail.com (Gene Duprey) ([Leica] Re; Trouble with iMac)