Subject: [Leica] Stargazing two ways
From: leica_r8 at hotmail.com (Aram Langhans)
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 15:58:54 -0700

Just outside Socorro, New Mexico, is the Very Large Array.  We were lucky
that they were in the "D" configuration.  That means the 27 radiotelescopes
were bunched close together around the visitors center.  This is when they
are looking for lower resolution overall structure images.  The "A"
configuration is when they are spread out with  each arm being 13 miles.
You would get to see very few of them close enough to the visitors center to
photograph.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/f15/nm/VLA-6679.jpg.html

http://tinyurl.com/nebeeo5

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/f15/nm/VLA-6682.jpg.html

http://tinyurl.com/peppnvq

More info:  http://www.vla.nrao.edu/

And just down the road is a nice campground, where I found a couple from
Switzerland enjoying the stars by a campfire.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/f15/nm/Datil+Wells+Campground-6709-Edi
t.jpg.html

http://tinyurl.com/q3j9fan

View Large

Comments welcome.

Aram

Aram Langhans

(Semi) Retired  Science Teacher
& Unemployed photographer

"The Human Genome Project has proved Darwin more right than Darwin himself
would ever have dared dream."   James D. Watson

Replies: Reply from leica at jayburleson.com (Jay Burleson) ([Leica] Stargazing two ways)
Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] Stargazing two ways)
Reply from leowesson at gmail.com (Leo Wesson) ([Leica] Stargazing two ways)
Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Stargazing two ways)