Subject: [Leica] OT: Help! How many Megapixels needed?
From: kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney)
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 14:46:46 -0500

Here are my thoughts.  First, the sensors on my cameras are 3:2.  If you
want 16x20" prints (5:4), then some pixels are going to be discarded.
For example, I have a camera (Canon 5D MkII) that makes a 5616 x 3744
file (21mp).  To print at 300ppi, that is a 12x18" appx. image.  If I
want a 16x20 image without resizing, I need to make the short side 16"
and crop the long side to 20", which gives me a resolution of 234
pixels.  I try to stay somewhere between 240 and 360, so probably OK
except there is no further cropping room. Another camera (Fuji XE) makes
a 4896 x 3264 file (16mp).  The same exercise there gives a print at
204ppi resolution, maybe OK but still no additional cropping room.  I
know there are other considerations such as noise, but with prints as
the goal I would say the analysis is like cash and cubic inches, i.e.
hard to have too much.

Ken