Subject: [Leica] Which R lenses are good? Mediocre? Bad?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2015 19:44:01 -0500

When I started with the LUG in the late 90's I'd been shooting Leica for
half the decade and everyone I knew and talked to said to avoid the 24mm R
lens as it was a Minolta and you are spending Leica money for a Minolta
lens. Other R lenses were tainted by this rumor but the 24 got it the most.
It seemed to be the classic case of Leica badge engineering.
But when the internet really kicked in it becomes more easy to really sort
things out as you can be in touch with source or expert information.
Sal said it was not the case and others said it was really a Leica Lens.
Erwin said either on the LUG or in his book that though it was designed by
Minolta but that design was taken over and implemented (built) by Leica in
Germany.
Soon the problem with the 24 R which was a 1974 design was that it was not
the 24 Elmarit M which was a very cutting edge ahead of the pack by a mile
1998 Aspheric design which was the year I joined the LUG. And got the lens.
And still have it. A few years later the 21 was also a revamped  ASPH with
compressed molding technology which Leica had and others didn't which was a
twin for the 24 and  I got and used that one too. And still have it.
I belive Erwin when relying his tests said the lens was exceedingly average
(my words) and  calling the contrast "average" I just checked.... Not
improved by stopping down.
I think when they call the contrast "average" that's maybe not a good
thing... For a Leica lens.. Or any lens.

The 24 2.8 in Nikon was always a main lens for me, one of my first and I've
gone thought many versions, AI, AF and about to get their latest which is a
1.8G.
I'd always wondered how those first versions of mine (which I still have)
would test out against the "Minolta" Leica 24 of the same era.
My guess would be it would be about the same. Maybe a little better. The
Nikon was amazingly good.