Subject: [Leica] IMG: Polish Independence Day in Alicante
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 16:11:32 +0100

Thanks Douglas. It was lunch, a nice long one.

Indeed, we do have people from all 28 Member States. However, not every
Member State has an independence day, and in some case it would even be hard
to pinpoint any kind of national day. This is the case for Denmark, for
example?since the country was never colonised or occupied long term (except
the 5 years German occupation 1940-45) there is no independence day. There
is a Constitution Day, June 5th, the anniversary of the first democratic
constitution from 1849, but it is a very low-key affair, nothing like the
4th of July. Or even the host country Spain?there are two candidates, 12th
October, known in the US as Columbus Day and here as D?a de la Hispanidad,
but increasingly people are uneasy about it since it commemorates the
Spanish conquest of South America and the resulting atrocities against the
native populations. The other sort of national day is 6th December, the day
of the democratic consitution following Franco?s death, but like its Danish
equivalent, it is a rather low-key affair (although people do have the day
off).

The countries that have a turbulent/tragic history are the ones that tend to
celebrate their national days most fervently, in my observation?especially
when the events are recent. My colleagues from the three Baltic states which
only gained their independence in 1990, are very keen on their independence
days, for example.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman