Subject: [Leica] IMG: Cape Charles trains
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2015 01:44:35 -0000

Interestingly forlorn and very sad in its own way, Ric. It's amazing how the
railways seem to have declined in the US compared to France, Germany, Japan,
and China. Nearly thirty years ago, I was whistling along at around 300kph
sitting in comfort heading from Paris to Valence via Lyon, and I thought it
would only get faster in the future.

Ireland being such a small country, I'd like to see a major airport in the
centre of the country with maglev trains connecting the major cities. As the
centre is only about 160km from all major cities, they'd probably take only
30 mins from start to stop, and be a tremendous boost to international
travellers and tourists. Nowadays, it looks like we'll have to do a deal to
import the tech from China rather than the US. However, the political
appetite for technology is limited, as all most of them know about are apps
to make ringtones :-)

Douglas