Subject: [Leica] M 246 or M Monochrom
From: john at mcmaster.fr (John McMaster)
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 07:50:35 +0000

You have to try it to see the difference, depends on what you shoot and how
you process. The heavy handed (contrasty, punchy etc) B&Ws are quite easy
from colour, I do not think that the long subtle tonal scales that the
Monochrom produces in the mid-tones are possible from colour. Also how long
do you want to spend on each image? Yes if it is a jaw-dropping shot, but if
you come back from shooting with a couple oh hundred images?

Also it means that you can only produce a B&W output so you shoot what works
with that. How often do we hear people say, this didn't work in colour so I
converted it.....

john
From:  Mark Rabiner

The idea of clear crisp simple single layer Bayerless black and white is
great but the idea of not just throwing away all that information at the get
go and being able to use it on the fly is always real tempting. I know just
how cool and valid that workflo that is because I do it all the time. I do
have filtering with glass over my lens fresh in my mind. It brings back
nostalgic memories all those filters I still have and what they did.

Carefully converting a color image file to a black and which one with the
use of all the color sliders can be a very creative and rewarding experience
and one which has no precedent in shooting film.
Its just an unprecedented amount of controll over and image to make all the
tones separate in just the way you figure out they should as you see them
change right in front of you.

Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] M 246 or M Monochrom)