Subject: [Leica] IMG: Lone Cypress
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 23:45:22 -0500

My favorite is next to the ones you mentioned in your post, #6 in the
thumbnails. Besides being esthetically a knockout, Bob, this is really a
remarkable image, capturing the night sky fairly deeply without blasting out
the highlights of the lighthouse. Any technical wizardry there, as in
Photoshop?

This image combines one of my favorite spots on Earth with one of my
favorite spots in the sky, the southern Milky Way, showing the asterism
called the Teapot (the brightest 8 or 9 stars in the left half) in the
constellation Sagittarius, with a rich localized part of the Milky Way
called the Scutum Star Cloud, here shown as a bluish cloud just above where
the beam from the lighthouse seems to be pointing, rising like a puff of
vapor from the spout on the right side of the Teapot, which is tipped over
about 45 degrees.

If you?re not an amateur astronomer, I recommend that you google for a local
astronomy club (millions of ?em in CA) and find out when they?re having
public viewing sessions at a dark-sky location this summer. Find the club
member with the biggest binoculars (really big, on a tripod) on the field
and ask him to show you the sights of the southern Milky Way around
Sagittarius and Scutum. Cup your hands around the eyepieces to keep out
stray light and lose yourself in the stars while you linger a couple of
minutes at each stop. It will be a memorable experience. There was a nice
essay describing this in the Focal Point readers? essay on the last page of
the magazine in the ?Sky and Telescope? issue of February 2015. I?ll email
you a copy.

?howard