Subject: [Leica] IMG: Lone Cypress
From: rgacpa at gmail.com (Robert Adler)
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 09:38:54 -0800

Hi Howard,
Some of my best friends are astronomers! ;-)
I was into astronomy in a very light way when my kids were young. Loved it
and attended quite a few open nights. We have some amazingly knowledgable
people here in the Bay Area. One of them took this same image of McWay
Falls that I did, only in the summer and at night:
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap140629.html

So lots of great resources here.
The image # 6 was a one shot image. There were adjustments made in both LR
and CC to increase the data captured by the camera as well as to tone down
the lighthouse and other bright parts of the image, but no magic other than
what was in the sky.

The summer in the Northern Hemisphere is the best for Milky Way shots, as
you know. Sagittarius is rising and with many more nebulae and star clouds.
As you say a very rich part of our galaxy. In the winter here the arm of
the Milky Way we see is pretty boring from far away. That said, the Horse
Head nebula in Orion is great close up with a telescope, but not much more.

The first astro-landscape image I ever took was the one, #6 in the image
index, you mention. It was taken with my Credo 50 attached to an old Mamiya
camera with the 45/2,8 exposed wide open for 9 seconds (the periodicity of
the light from the lighthouse. This is the equivalent of a 35mm field of
view and perspective on our full frame Leica's. The coast was amazingly
clear, but just as I opened the shutter a mist cloud blew by the lighthouse
highlighting the beams. Beginner's luck. My winter shots are not as
colorful because the view of the galaxy is not as colorful as the summer
view.

Thanks for looking and for the advice.
Best,
Bob