Subject: [Leica] IMG: Family Kodachromes, 1950-53
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2016 12:56:04 -0800

I've posted 20 "new" pictures--recently copied slides from my late
mother's collection.  These are pictures of my parents, my mother's
family and their friends, c. 1950-53, before I came on the scene. Start
here, and click on the left side of the picture for the "previous" 19
pictures.
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
N04/24864974880/in/dateposted-public/>

My Mom got her camera in 1949. She shot one roll of Plus-X, then started
using Kodachrome and never looked back.  She shot a Bolsey B2
rangerfinder with a 44mm f/3.2 Wollensak Anastigmat lens and leaf
shutter.  I still have it.  Remember that pre-1961, Kodachrome film was
ASA 10.  Except in bright sunlight, fairly slow exposure times had to be
used.  I had to go through lots of blurred slides to find a few
reasonably sharp ones show here.

I just got a Nikon ES-1 slide copier attachment for my camera.  I
connected it to my Olympus E-M5 via a couple of step-up rings, a 28/2.8
Olympus OM manual focus lens from the 80s, a rickety 13mm extension tube
and a strip of masking tape to fasten the extension tube to the lens and
neutralize said ricketiness.  Theoretically, the 28mm OM lens shouldn't
be good enough to act as a macro lens, but in practice, it appears to
be. It doesn't quite resolve the film grain, but the pictures are quite
good enough for screen viewing. And it's *so* much quicker and easier
than using a film scanner.  I may spring for a real micro 4/3 macro
lens, or I may not.  These look pretty darn good to me.

Enjoy!
--Peter

Replies: Reply from imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry) ([Leica] IMG: Family Kodachromes, 1950-53)
Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] IMG: Family Kodachromes, 1950-53)