Subject: [Leica] the SL: first month
From: roark.paul at gmail.com (Paul Roark)
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2016 09:29:51 -0800

Does the Leica SL do its auto focusing with the lens stopped down the way
the Sony does it?  When I look at the lens aperture from the front, I see
just a very small additional opening of the iris when I hit the AF on the
Sony.

I assume this stopped-down focusing is done mostly to reduce noise in the
sensor.  However, in actual use, what I find is that the Sony AF can
usually do a better job of focusing that I can do manually wide open, but
closed down it can't.  I think abandoning the wide open focusing of the
DSLRs is a factor that may reduce the AF accuracy of these mirrorless
products.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

Message from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] the SL: first month)