Subject: [Leica] Károly Hemzö Exhibition
From: gerry.walden at icloud.com (Gerry Walden)
Date: Sun, 15 May 2016 04:09:24 +0100

Whilst in Budapest I visited this exhibition and really enjoyed discovering
the work of a photographer I had in all honesty never heard of. He worked
primarily as a sports photographer serving the purposes of the State during
his earlier years, but during his free time and also in later life he did
some great street work, and also did some great work with horses.
Considering the equipment and film etc. he would have had available during
the Communist era immediately after the war, his sports work was very good
because of his ability to get the timing of the actions absolutely right.

Here is a link in English to the exhibition I went to:

http://hnm.hu/en/exhibitions/open-eyes-foto-hemzo

but unfortunately it shows very little of his photography. However the link
below is better, and it is worth scrolling down through his sports work to
his other work.

http://index.hu/nagykep/2012/11/26/hemzo_karoly_oroksege_es_emleke/

I bought the hardcover book of horse images, which at 3,500HUF (about ?8.75,
$12.54 or 11?) was a steal.

I feel it is a pity he is not better known in the west.

Gerry

Gerry Walden
www.gwpics.com
+44 (0)23 8046 3076 or