Subject: [Leica] Fwd: Own Jackie Kennedy's Leicaflex
From: hlritter at twc.com (Howard L Ritter Jr)
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2016 13:25:55 -0400

I don?t think the money was optional. It may have been superfluous, but not
optional. It was affirmation of her ability to contribute value. I believe
that Jackie was fiercely independent and wanted to land, keep, perform, and
be paid for a job on her own merits, one in which she could be productive
and independent ? particularly in what was largely a male-dominated field.
No doubt the desire to be perceived as being of consequence and not just
ornamentation and/or a gold digger was part of what led her to become a book
editor in middle age after Onassis and continue as one for 20 years. The
other part was a true desire to DO something rather than remain among the
idle rich globetrotters.

She recalled: ?I remember a taxi driver who said, ?Lady, you work and you
don?t have to?? I said, ?Yes.? He turned around and said, ?I think that?s
great!? ?

I?d like to believe that I?d feel/do the same if I were an idle-rich
globetrotter!

?howard