Subject: [Leica] Leicas and Cateracts
From: boulanger.croissant at gmail.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2016 23:17:43 -0700

Hi, Rei:  I did the monofocal option, so my eyes are at infinity now. I had
to put a +0.5 diopter correction lens in my leica M eyepiece. No problem
focusing a Leica M once I did that. I actually took my M8 to the
ophthalmologist, and asked the technician to put their various test lenses
in front of my eye while I looked at something at 2 meters distance through
the M viewfinder. I picked the one with the best sharpness, which was +0.5,
and ordered that diopter strength from Leica.

I had both eyes done, one year apart. I was one of the unlucky few that had
medical complications after each surgery. Fortunately, they were dealt with
successfully and I'm OK.  In addition, my eyes since childhood have not
quite "tracked" together correctly.  This was "fixed" with two operations
as a child, but the tendency has always been there. After my cataract
surgeries, due to the change in from nearsighed to normal distance vision,
I have good vision looking straight ahead and close in, but get double
vision when I look to one side.  So I have to wear glasses with prism
correction in them when driving. In the house, watching TV, no problem, but
beyond 10-12 ft, I need the glasses.

Because of all this, I read quite a bit on the subject.  It appears that
using different focal lengths in each eye may exacerbate any tendency to
double vision.  I had done that with contact lenses for several years
before the cataract issues cropped up, and in hindsight, it may not have
been the best thing to do.  So I would make very sure that you have no
tendency to double vision (strabismus) if you want to do what Sonny did.

The multi-focal length implants are fairly new, and they have downsides.
For both these reasons, I stayed away from them. The eyes are small and
delicate structures, and do-overs increase the chance of a less good
outcome. So while I am sometimes an early adopter of technology, when it
comes to my eyes, I stuck with the tried and true.

Hope this helps!
--Peter