Subject: [Leica] IMG: A Special Jump
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2016 17:33:34 -0700

Hi Jim,
Good on that lad. Even in his condition he had a go at the jump. More people
should do this, not a para-jump. But something they always wanted to try or
do. Rather than in their later lives complaining.. "I always wanted to do?"
Whatever it was in their youth or younger life.
Me? Well each time I did aerial photography and no door on the plane, me
facing into the wild blue yonder. :-) When the assignment shoot was over and
we're back on the ground, I always thought? "Jeeesshh one of these days I'd
like to do a parachute jump. No not riding down with someone. " Me & the
chute"
In 1994 just before the Commonwealth Games in Victoria. I was at a luncheon
with some of our media organizing people and me a few days past my 65
birthday! When the question was asked.. "We're doing a parachute jump on
Saturday morning. "Hey Ted are you in?"
Well now me wearing hearing aids after big cannons firing during the 6 Day
War in the mid east! Really didn't hear the exact question but thought it to
play some field game. So I responded "SURE OK!"  My assistant said==== "You
didn't really hear that question did you?" My response was... "Oh play some
field sport Saturday?"
She responded:  "No you said you'd jump with a parachute on, at the
airfield!"MY RATHER LOUD RESPONSE TO THE LADY SETTING THIS "fun event up?"
"EXCUSE ME? WHAT ARE WE DOING SATURDAY?" She responded. "So far, including
you there are 8 of us doing a parachute jump!" My initial response was?===
"COOL!" The next was? "OK WHAT IS IRENE GOING TO SAY?" OOPS! My wife. :-) So
I didn't tell her, but I did say.. "We are doing some special training at
the airfield on Saturday. Do you want to come along and watch?" She said,
"No I told you I'm not interested in all that sport stuff!" I said no more.
:-)
However? I did get #1 son convinced to get his mother organized and bring
her to the airfield.
READY? :-) So he went to get her, she with no idea what was happening?
"He said to her, "Dad wants me to take you to the airfield to see him doing
his thing."
She responded! "I told him I wasn't interested. When is all this nonsense
going to end with him????"
Ted offered: "Oh maybe today as he's jumping out of a plane with a
parachute!"
She did come to the airfield, but we had already taken off, so she didn't
get to speak to me until I walked up to her carrying my chute after the
jump!!! She was as white as a ghost as she offered: "How are you?" Eyes like
two piercing spears burning holes in me!
Me? Man I'm sort've giggling, smiling, endorphins in my body are going
around and around like crazy. I'm just flying inside my body like crazy.
As cold voiced as I think I ever heard her in our 64 years married she said:
" That's wonderful! But let me assure you that if you do this again? Even if
you land safely? "BE "ASSURED I WILL KILL YOU!" Turned around and walked
away.
I've never jumped again. But as much as I scared the daylights out of her it
was never discussed again.
But I have been so fantastically thrilled and glad I enjoyed the few moments
with the chute open above me.
No I'll never do it again. As the first time gives one the "absolute thrill
of a lifetime!"
cheers,
Dr. ted  :-)