Subject: [Leica] Jaguars - Bad Lip
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 17:31:45 +0530

This jaguar was the one we saw the most during our trip - he had something
wrong with his lip, so we christened him Bad Lip. Our local guides could
not recognize him, calling him a newcomer to the area - but he was a
seasoned old jaguar, who had seen better days, so possibly he had been
ejected from his territory, and landed up here. Once his path crossed Mick
Jaguar, unfortunately for us, behind some trees, but no mayhem ensued and
they went their own separate ways peacefully, so they presumably knew, and
likely were related to, each other. He seemed to be on the lookout for prey
every time we saw him, but he never looked well fed. One of our boats did
see him make attacks on two caiman within minutes, but both were
unsuccessful, and because tree roots and grass was between the boat and the
jaguar, the photographs were a bit obscured as well.

Jaguars are the most aquatic of the big cats, and Bad Lip was ever ready to
take to the water:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Brazil/Pantanal/untitled-20160816-7314.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Brazil/Pantanal/untitled-20160817-10906.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Brazil/Pantanal/untitled-20160817-10994.jpg.html

Otherwise, he was generally motoring down, or resting at, the waters edge,
on the lookout for prey:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Brazil/Pantanal/untitled-20160816-9856.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Brazil/Pantanal/untitled-20160816-7454.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Brazil/Pantanal/untitled-20160816-9849.jpg.html

The Velvia greens were the actual colors of the scene, where he seemed to
be searching for, and stalking something, but we never figured out what it
was:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Brazil/Pantanal/untitled-20160818-12780.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Brazil/Pantanal/untitled-20160818-12842.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Brazil/Pantanal/untitled-20160818-12926.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Brazil/Pantanal/untitled-20160818-12985.jpg.html

Please see LARGE

Comments and criticism, as ever, welcome.

Cheers
Jayanand

Replies: Reply from imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry) ([Leica] Jaguars - Bad Lip)
Reply from lluisripollphotography at gmail.com (lluisripollphotography) ([Leica] Jaguars - Bad Lip)