Subject: [Leica] How did 50mm become the "normal" lens for 35mm cameras?
From: hlritter at twc.com (Howard L Ritter Jr)
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2016 23:31:09 +0200

I?m not sure I understand what you mean, Bill. This looks like circular
reasoning: no magnification or reduction with respect to what standard? Only
itself.

The size of the image on the film has no inherent relationship to the
subject itself unless it?s taken with a macro lens at 1:1 reproduction
ratio. Anything else is an arbitrary representation that depends on the
focal length and distance to subject. Pick a print size and a viewing
distance. Choose the FL to be that which gives the same image scale on the
print as the scene that you?re viewing from the same point as the camera.
Maybe for one person that?s 50 mm, maybe different from others. The process
would be totally arbitrary.

Is it that 50 mm gives a unity-magnification view in the viewfinder of a FF
SLR? That?s dependent on the apparent size of the focusing screen produced
by the FL of the VF eyepiece. Again, arbitrary. Designers could make the
image formed by a 35-mm lens on the screen appear at unity magnification by
using a wider-field eyepiece on the VF.

Any focal length for any film frame size is totally arbitrary. The human eye
takes in nearly 180 degrees, so one ?no magnification or reduction? standard
would be a fisheye lens. OTOH, the field of foveal vision, full resolution,
is a fraction of a degree, so another standard would be a 1000-mm lens.

I?ve heard it said that the field of attention of the human eye-brain
system, the principal stuff that we apprehend when we look at a scene, is
about the same as that captured by a lens whose FL is about the same as the
diagonal of the film frame. So a FL in the range of 40-50 mm would fit that
bill. That?s also full of assumptions and arbitrary decisions. The 50-mm
decision is probably rooted in many things, including what?s in this
paragraph and what was available when 35 mm photography was evolving.

Simple P&S cameras had 35-mm lenses when they were FF film cameras and that
seemed to make most users happy. Today the few fixed-lens FF digital
cameras, I suppose the only two, in fact, use 28 and 35 mm, respectively:
the Leica Q and the Sony RX1.

I use 35 mm as the default lens on my 240 and MM when I head out. I don?t
even own a modern 50-mm lens.

The bottom line is: Normal FL is what the photographer regards as such. But
it doesn?t have to do with a zero point between magnification and reduction.

?howard