Subject: [Leica] How did 50mm become the "normal" lens for 35mm cameras?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2016 14:31:49 -0400

They eye is way wider than 43 degrees. Way
The eye sees as much as 90? and gets into 100?.
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peripheral_vision#/media/File:Field_of_view.svg<

So your eye is a 14mm or 12mm lens.
But the part its paying way more attention to is a built in 135mm that's the
paracentral and central area according to this diagram.
So we have two two two lenses in one built into the way we see.
At least.
Though most of it is bokeh.
But its like the dated and in jeopardy traditional Leica viewfinder
Its a framelines which you can look way beyond the edges of.
A framelines for the lowly but my favorite 135mm focal length.

So determining what is Normal for the way a human sees is pretty close to
impossible. They have to get a number from somewhere. So they picked the
diagonal of the format.

On 9/17/16 9:22 PM, "Dennis Kushner" <dennis.leicam6 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree with Osterloh. I have always considered the following statement
> Iread
> somewhere over
40 years ago. The view angle of the lens closest to the average
> 43 degree
angle of the human eye.

On Sat, Sep 17, 2016 at 5:13 PM, Steve
wrote:

> > On Sep 17, 2016, at 1:36 PM,
> Peter Dzwig <pdzwig at summaventures.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > I am using the 35mm f2
> Fuji on the XE-2 and X-Pro 1 which is about 45.5
> > equivalent (taking 1.3 as
> the equivalence ratio). I was "sold" the 35 as
> a "sort
> > of equivalent" to
> a 50mm f2. It works great too.
> >
> > Still wish I could find an adaptor (to