Subject: [Leica] Hand Made Self Publish
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2016 23:57:52 -0400

I knew some guys, photographers in Portland who were going that route.
The idea is to NOT put your prints in those plastic pagers which have fallen
way out of vogue but was what every commercial photographer and model used
in the 70's though 90's.. Usually 11x14 but some were 8x10 or 16x20. Inches.
Putting ones prints in a box to go though like a fine art photographers does
not go over with everybody. A bit too free form and loose and slow perhaps
though I still go that route myself. And have portfolio boxes in those three
sizes right here with the prints in them. They can be easily tailored to
each interview you are going through you just take out the prints you know
that client would hate and put the ones in front they'd love and at the end.
And it easy to slip something done fairly recently. Though ill advised.

What ever your paper choice on printing your work its lost when its under
think plastic glossy or textured sheets.. So the quality paper you are using
the actual feel and service still does come though because threes nothing to
come though or see through. To get real feel in the tactile sense and theirs
nothing between you and your image.
You use the cheapest plastic binder machine as you are doing them singly not
in any kind of run.  And I'd use 100% rag paper like from Moab or Hahnem?hle
of a nice weight not too thin but not too think either.
Cost real money and like good darkroom paper. ...well worth it . Even more
so as there was never any darkroom paper that was 100% rag. Your mat board
was. But your print itself was paper from a tree. And it as going to
discolor way before your mat ever did.

As I think of it one of my photographer friends in Portland had an agent.
And that agent wanted him to make a dozen of these books to send out to
various clients stimulatingly. I got the idea that that was how it was
commonly done.  This was 2001.  I'd not know I've never had an agent.
If I did it was Orange. Or secret.