Subject: [Leica] A Tale of two flags
From: chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Christopher Crawford)
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2016 20:58:17 -0400

What, exactly, does the confederate flag have to do with someone putting
razor blades on your front seat? It looks like one of your neighbors has
one flying from his boat, which is his right. The United States is still a
free country, and that means the freedom to have beliefs that you don?t
like; it even means the right to have truly evil beliefs. If, as so many
liberals are so desperate to do, we ban symbols and beliefs that offend
some or even most Americans, then we cease to be the free society that Old
Glory stood for.

To have a truly free society, you must have a wide ranging and diverse
political scene. The weakness of American democracy is that it shuts out
all who don?t belong to the two mainstream parties, which are really not
that far apart in their philosophies. There is no place for the communist,
the fascist, the religious fundamentalist, the radical feminist, etc. What
that?s done is force those who espouse extremist ideologies to try to
infiltrate and destroy the two centrist parties, and those parties in turn
have sought bribes on a massive scale from the very wealthy and the
corporate world to keep themselves in power, and the American people have
lost.

In many European countries, and in Israel, they have proportional
representation in parliament, so that fringe and extremist parties can
have a few seats in government and a voice. Most people don?t support
them, but by giving them a small place at the table, they let the sane
parties govern while also serving as a warning to the centrists that if
they stop serving the people, the people have a choice. In short,
extremists can keep the governing parties honest, but the American system
didn?t work that way, and now the mainstream American parties can?t and
won?t govern. As a result, we may actually end up with extremists in REAL
power here.

As for your front seat, it has nothing to do with the boat flying the
confederate flag, unless you think the boat?s owner did it to you. In any
case, you?ve pissed off someone pretty badly!

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography

Become a fan on Facebook

On 9/19/16, 8:20 PM, "LUG on behalf of Barney Quinn"
<lug-bounces+chris=chriscrawfordphoto.com at leica-users.org on behalf of