Subject: [Leica] Seven decades of classic photography from the Observer
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2016 00:00:53 +0000

I wonder if the fact that you can't take as many photos with film as you can
with digital makes you concentrate more on what you are photographing and how
you do it. That in turn may lead to different styles of photography, as
different from 35mm film as 35mm is from wetplate.

An example might be that a lot of digital images are much less likely to be
posed; more "snaps" (I am not talking about LUGers shots here). I recently
went
to see the Vivien Maier exhibition "Chroniques Am?ricains" in France. I was
very
much struck by the picture taken in Florida of a woman in a ball gown walking
towards a big fifties car (it's about halfway down this page:
http://www.widewalls.ch/artist/vivian-maier/ ). It could only be film: the
blurring, the depth of shadow, the opportunism all say "film" to me.

Peter